Tabgha, located is revered by as the site of the “multiplication of the fish and the loaves” in Mathew 14:13-21 and Mark 6:30-46, also referred to as the feeding of the multitudes. The name Tabgha is derived from the Greek Hepta Pegai or Heptapegon, meaning seven springs.
A Byzantine church existed where the current church stands from the 5th – 7th centuries, when it was destroyed by invading Persians. The site was excavated in the 1930’s by German archaeologists, who discovered the ruins of the original Byzantine church, including an impressive mosaic floor. The mosaics include an image of the fish and loaves, which has been reproduced on many Christian souvenir items; a Nile meter used for measuring the height of the Nile, and possibly also the Sea of Galilee; and images of various waterfowl.
The contemporary Catholic Church was built in the style of the Byzantine church, incorporating some of its walls and the mosaics noted above. A table like altar in the front of the church is built over the rock marking the site of the ‘multiplication’.
The site is reasonably wheelchair accessible.
3 kilometers southwest of Capernaum along the Sea of Galilee northern coast road (Road 87 )
8:00 – 17:00, Saturdays till 15:00, Closed Sundays