Eilat is Israel’s southern city and is focused on allowing tourists to relax, unwind enjoying the sun and the sea.
Relaxation is the best thing to do in Eilat and many day will be spent by the pool or in the sea. Here are some ideas of other things to do in Eilat and nearby.
- One of the all time favourite activities in Eilat is the Dolphin Reef. You go out on floating platforms and observe dolphin feeding (check times) and learn about the dolphins from their carers. There is also a little beach there where you can picnic or buy food. Children (of all ages) will be fascinated. There is also the opportunity to go swimming and diving with the dolphins (and a guide).
- Timna Park – Just north of Eilat – King Solomons mines and an area rich in natural and man made attractions.
- Walk along the tayelet and around the lagoons – you can walk east almost as far as the Jordanian border
- The Under Water Observatory – for a fascinating insight into marine life.
- Kings City theme park – based on Bible stories.
- The Imax cinema – located near the hotels showing a series of spectacular films.
- Drive down the road to the Taba border crossing and find a bit of beach that takes your fancy
- Shopping – Eilat is a VAT free zone making for some good shopping. There are two shopping malls on the Tayelet and there are endless stalls along the Tayelet itself.
- International Bird Observatory – Eilat is directly on one of the principal avian migration routes and there is an observatory nearby – it is open year round and offers day and night tours.
- Ice Exhibit located near the marina.
- Glass bottomed boats – a famous Eilat feature.
- Cruise on the sea.
- Desert Trips – By camel or by jeep. Best arranged through your hotel reception.
- Do a short hike in the desert – two of our favourite are Amudei Amram & Shchoret Canyon / Mountain.
- Water Sports – The Red Sea has world renowned coral reserves and the year round warm climate have made Eilat a great diving resort. You can do an introductory drive, get a licence or dive independently from Eilat. There are also many other water sports available. Best arranged through your hotel reception.
- Watch the Planes – Eilat is one of the few places in the world where you can walk from the plane to your hotel in a matter of minutes. This means that the children will have a great time plane spotting as the planes land and take off. You can stand right at the end of the runway.